PEF for algae products
Product examples: Algae oil, algae protein, carotenoids, chlorophyll
Aim PEF treatment: Cell disintegration, cell proliferation, induce stress reactions, microbial inactivation, enhanced extraction and refining efficiency
Algae are a major source of neutraceuticals and valuable ingredients such as pigments, vitamins and proteins. PEF treatment of microalgae enables harvesting and extracting valuable ingredients. These algae products are used in feed, food and energy applications.
Pulsemaster’s process allows selective cell extraction of components such as lipids, cell proliferation by PEF induced stress reactions and control of contaminants such as protozoa in microalgae cultures.
- Enrichment with secondary metabolites due to PEF stress induction on algae cells
- A targeted and controllable structural modification enabled by permeabilizing cell membranes
- Control of contaminants such as protozoa
- Enhanced product handling by tissue softening
- Improved extraction and refining efficiency and increased process capacity
- Vitamins, minerals, pigments, antioxidants, flavors and colors are retained
- Energy saving
Pulsemaster has developed industrial scale equipment – named Conditioner – with treatment capacities up to 5,000 l/h (1320 US gal./h) for microbial inactivation and up to 50,000 kg/h (110,000 lb/h) for cell disintegration.